Thursday, January 7, 2010

Uh... Pink?

If you're a member of the African Violet Society of America,then you may have seen the semi-miniature "Irish Flirt" on its Honor Roll. That means this little beauty, with its white and green flowers, is widely considered to be one of the best African violet varieties available.

I bought a couple of Irish Flirt leaves last summer and grew a litter of babies from them. As usual, I've given most of them to friends, keeping just one for myself. Well, my little Flirt has recently had its first blooms. Here's a picture of what it looks like:



Pink and green? Hmmm...

African violets are known to sometimes sport, or mutate. And I'd heard of named sports. So I did a Web search to see if there's one for Irish Flirt. Sure enough, there is. It's called "Sassy Sister" and it looks just like mine.

So apparently what I have is a Sassy Sister, not an Irish Flirt. Will it stay that way? My guess is yes, but it'll be interesting to watch this plant in the months ahead.

I do like my Sassy Sister, but I still want a real Irish Flirt. I think I'll try again this spring.

By the way, the AVSA also has a list of named African violet sports. I notice several of my other plants are on this list. None of them have bloomed yet. I'll be watching to see if I have any more varieties-that-aren't.

No comments:

Post a Comment